FUTURE TENSE FICTION
By E. Lily Yu
A new short story about DIY genetic editing and high school trends.
July 10, 2019 | 2:00 pm
New America | 740 15th Street NW #900, Washington, D.C. 20005
How we will govern ourselves beyond the bonds of Earth? Join Future Tense and the JustSpace Alliance to consider how we might ensure that our “next frontier” is one that reflects our most humane and democratic values.
Future Tense is a partnership of Slate, New America and Arizona State University that examines emerging technologies, public policy and society.
Future Tense is the citizen’s guide to the future.The partnership provides insightful, timely, and unexpected analysis at the intersection of technology and society through written commentary and live events in Washington, D.C. and beyond.
Future Tense FictionA series of original science fiction stories crafted by leading authors, exploring how science and technology will change our lives in the future. Each story is paired with a response essay by an expert in a related field.
- Space Leek - By Chen Qiufan
- No Moon and Flat Calm - By Elizabeth Bear
- The Song Between Worlds - By Indrapramit Das
- The Arisen - By Louisa Hall
- Mpendulo: The Answer - By Nosipho Dumisa
- Thoughts and Prayers - By Ken Liu
- When Robot and Crow Saved East St. Louis - By Annalee Newitz
- Overvalued - By Mark Stasenko
Best of Future TenseFuture Tense publishes commentary on Slate by researchers and scholars at Arizona State University, alongside many other writers and thinkers from the fields of journalism, public policy, science and technology, and more.
- How Southern Baptists Are Grappling With Artificial Intelligence - By Ruth Graham
- Ethics Alone Can’t Fix Big Tech - By Daniel Susser
- When the Rules Disappear - By Jeff Wise
- The Government Is Using the Most Vulnerable People to Test Facial Recognition Software - By Os Keyes, Nikki Stevens, and Jacqueline Wernimont
- The True Cost of Stain-Resistant Pants - By Andrew Maynard
- Fueling the Fire - By Stephen J. Pyne
- The Evolution of the Modern-Day Zombie - By EMILY ZARKA
- Space Exploration Isn’t Just About Science - By Lindy Elkins-Tanton