A labeling war is brewing.
FUTURE TENSE FICTION
By Nosipho Dumisa
A new short story about genetic engineering and what it means to be human.
January 23, 2019 | 6:00 pm
Eighteenth Street Lounge | 1212 18th Street NW Washington, D.C. 20036
Many have hailed online streaming as the music industry’s savior. But it's also bringing changes that may not be good for the industry, musicians, or listeners. Join Future Tense for a conversation about how artists and record labels are adapting to the streaming era, and whether streaming can truly save the music industry.
Future Tense is a partnership of Slate, New America and Arizona State University that examines emerging technologies, public policy and society.
Future Tense is the citizen’s guide to the future.The partnership provides insightful, timely, and unexpected analysis at the intersection of technology and society through written commentary and live events in Washington, D.C. and beyond.
Future Tense FictionA series of original science fiction stories crafted by leading authors, exploring how science and technology will change our lives in the future. Each story is paired with a response essay by an expert in a related field.
- Thoughts and Prayers- By Ken Liu
- When Robot and Crow Saved East St. Louis- By Annalee Newitz
- Overvalued- By Mark Stasenko
- Burned-Over Territory- By Lee Konstantinou
- Lions and Gazelles- By Hannu Rajaniemi
- When We Were Patched- By Deji Bryce Olukotun
- The Starfish Girl- By Maureen McHugh
- A Brief and Fearful Star- By Carmen Maria Machado
Best of Future TenseFuture Tense publishes commentary on Slate by researchers and scholars at Arizona State University, alongside many other writers and thinkers from the fields of journalism, public policy, science and technology, and more.
- When You Can’t Find Shelter From the Heat- By Paul Chakalian
- Digital Access Isn’t a Luxury for Refugees- By Faheem Hussain
- The Civics of Facebook- By
- The Evolution of the Modern-Day Zombie- By EMILY ZARKA
- Why Hope Is Dangerous When It Comes to Climate Change- By Tommy Lynch
- A New Theory on Why We Haven’t Found Aliens Yet- By Robert Hart
- The Other Consequence of Trump’s Attack on Federal Lands- By Karla Moeller
- Space Exploration Isn’t Just About Science- By Lindy Elkins-Tanton